Thursday, May 26, 2011

How to airbrush an eagle and flames on a Harley fairing

Surface: Harley Davidson Electra Glide Fairing

Paints Used: Automotive base coat/clear coat

Instruments: Double action airbrushes, both gravity and siphon feed. Touch-up gun, spray gun, acetate masks.

Duration: I didn't keep track but I would guess 6 hours airbrushing, half-hour clear coating, one hour buffing and polishing.

Cost: $900.00, fairing provided by customer.
 

The first thing you want to do is clean the entire surface with grease and wax remover, then sand the entire surface with 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper. After you apply your base (in this case, black) you can begin airbrushing your design. I start with white base, mixed with just a touch of yellow, to lay out my eagle.

 Next I come in with a yellow mixture and paint in the areas of the eyes and the beak. Also, since I have my yellow mixture on hand, I begin to lay out the flames.
 Now I come in with a brown mixture and start filling in the details of the eyes and beak. One of the advantages to airbrushing is that you can vary the tonal range of a single color simply by adjusting the air pressure and paint volume released from your airbrush.
 I spray some candy yellow over the flames. Not pictured is the tack rag, towels and grease and wax remover that I use between candy coats in order to keep the project as clean as possible before it gets clear coated.
 I come in with a light yellow/white mixture and start adding some highlights to the eagle's face, feathers and flames.
 I then shoot some red candy over the flames.
The red is a little strong so I come in with some yellow and redefine my flames.
 Here is a shot from the other side.
I spray some candy yellow again to give the flames some depth.

 I use a white/yellow mixture to highlight the flames and add some hot spots.
 This is the fairing after clear coat.
 A close up of the face.
A little closer.

1 comment:

  1. nice airbrush result,
    i need custom my fairing,
    thanks

    ReplyDelete